Donations not only support Stamford Symphony operations, performances, education and community programs, but also help to keep ticket prices affordable.
There are many ways to contribute to the Stamford Symphony, as an individual donor, a corporate sponsor, or a volunteer. As members of the Stamford Symphony family, contributors and sponsors at all levels receive a range of benefits, including exclusive opportunities to learn more about the music and meet the musicians.
Message from the Stamford Symphony’s Chief Executive Officer
Barbara J. Smith-Soroca
It is my pleasure to announce that the Stamford Symphony has received a clean audit, including an increase to our cash reserves for the year ending June 2011. I want to express my sincere appreciation to all of you who, through your generosity, ensure our financial health. This is particularly meaningful in this time of economic adversity, when so many orchestras in our country have filed for bankruptcy and ceased to exist. Because of your devotion and support, the Stamford Symphony is a model of stability in the industry and an enduring resource for audiences in Fairfield County.
Ticket sales comprise only 40% of the Orchestra's annual income. In order to keep our ticket prices affordable, we rely on the annual support of our subscribers, individual donors and corporate sponsors to provide the remaining 60%. This 40/60 ratio of earned/unearned income exceeds the industry standard.
The commitment of the Stamford Symphony is to provide orchestra concerts and other music programs that enrich the lives of people in Fairfield and Westchester Counties. We are also dedicated to reaching the student population through music education programs.
We receive extraordinary support from patrons in our community, some who have chosen specific programs to sponsor and others who contribute to our annual campaign, leaving the allocation to us. Examples of programs specifically underwritten by donors include the high school scholarship competition; music education; concert, musician, and soloist sponsorships; and student concert and recital sponsorships. Unrestricted annual support not only enables us to keep ticket prices affordable, but also to provide free and/or discounted tickets to students and seniors and to schools who participate in our Advancing the Arts program to raise funds for their own music education initiatives. In addition, our Encore Legacy Society insures the future of our orchestra by allowing our supporters to include the Stamford Symphony in their estate planning. No matter what means of support you choose, the Stamford Symphony deeply appreciates your generosity.
Most important, of course, is the quality of our orchestra. The musicians of the Stamford Symphony, with Music Director Eckart Preu, are recognized for their artistic excellence. Our roster has been auditioned from the finest musicians in the tri-state area, bringing academic and performance credentials from the leading institutions in America and abroad. These are the same musicians who perform in the major New York City orchestras and ensembles, and they are right here in Fairfield County!
We trust that we are serving you well and we look forward to many more years of "Serious Fun" with the Stamford Symphony. Thank you for your patronage.