Jobs at Stamford Symphony
Director of Sales and Marketing
Position Title: Director of Sales and Marketing
Located: Fairfield County/Stamford, CT
The Stamford Symphony is a preeminent arts organization, yet we aspire to bring more performances and bolder programs to an even wider community.
We recently appointed Michael Stern as Music Director, and are preparing for new seasons with more concert events, larger repertoire, at additional venues, and delivering a comprehensive community engagement and education program. We will also rebrand the institution and expand both our operating and marketing budgets. To fund this ambition, The Crescendo Fund for
the Future of Stamford Symphony was created in 2020 and has already secured pledges of $4M.
Now we need an exceptional Sales and Marketing leader to Join Michael Stern, and all our professional musicians and staff at this most creative and developmental period in our history.
The new role of Director of Sales and Marketing is responsible for planning, implementing, and assessing the organization’s marketing, branding, PR, and audience development to drive our strategic vision and to increase our audiences across Fairfield County. The successful candidate will be able to point to significant past successes in growing, retaining and diversifying
audiences, for diverse performances.
The post is based at the Symphony’s office in Stamford CT. The successful candidate will need to be present – in the office, in the community, and at Stamford Symphony events.
- Create, design and deliver the organization's marketing, sales and communications plans
- Rebrand of the organization – building upon the formal rebrand being undertaken by Sametz Blackstone, deliver our new branding across all touchpoints. Make the new brand come alive in Symphony events,
experiences, and messaging
- Align Marketing with Community Engagement, making them more effective together, to support our strategy
- Collaborate with the CEO, Music Director, Operations and Administration to execute the symphony growth strategy
- Build the Marketing Department by hiring and mentoring a Marketing Assistant and leveraging resources from other Symphony departments and marketing agencies
Marketing and Sales
- Establish multi-year plan and annual installments, with approval from CEO and Board
- Own our audience: Execute Sales and Marketing programs to achieve audience growth, diversity and revenue targets, by creating demand and converting it to sales
- Steward our brand: implement strategic and consistent branding (graphics, messaging and meaning) at all touchpoints (owned/earned/paid, plus live performance, education and community events)
- Build our awareness: manage brand visibility campaigns, including digital media, search, social, PR, events, and community outreach. Measure and monitor brand metrics
- Oversee the website, digital marketing, and social media
- Manage vendors: PR agency, media buyer, brand agency, telesales, etc.
- Manage the marketing budget
- Be the public face of the organization’s marketing efforts through extensive out of office work
- Establish our messaging calendar, and coordinate execution with stakeholders including CEO, Music Director, Musicians, Board and PR agency
- Work with CEO and PR agency to identify and implement messaging strategies
- Create and oversee all written communications and content
- Manage PR agency day-to-day
Community Engagement and Education
- Work closely with the Community Engagement and Education Manager to integrate Community Engagement and Education with Marketing, PR and Operations
- Create and implement the symphony’s Fairfield County Strategy, to expand our brand awareness and audience through our surrounding community
- Set and meet metrics for audience diversification, engagement and growth
- Identify key engagement targets (e.g., community leaders and influencers, venues, partner organizations, school leaders etc.) and implement disciplined relationship-building
- A seasoned marketing professional with at least 5 years senior level experience with a track record of achieving ticket sales or other earned-income goals
- Marketing experience in non-profit, membership-oriented organizations
- Experience within performing arts required; a passion for symphonic music preferred
- Innovative, forward-thinking professional with exceptional interpersonal skills, a genuine and infectious enthusiasm for the arts and the mission of the Stamford Symphony, and a high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Understanding and demonstrated success with dynamic pricing strategies
- Strong appreciation for innovative graphic design and photography that is both functional and representative of a symphony orchestra that is growing
- Significant experience overseeing digital media to both drive ticket sales and expand the brand
- Ability to think analytically and creatively; a fact-based data-driven professional
- Ability to think both analytically and creatively
- Strong communication skills, to create an environment conducive to open and direct communication with individuals of varying degrees of involvement with the Orchestra
- A resourceful, results-oriented leader with the ability to think strategically, generate new ideas, prioritize, plan, and set goals and objectives
- Ability to speak credibly and persuasively about Stamford Symphony’s vision for the future
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A broad-based knowledge of all functions of marketing
- Knowledge of CRM software (such as Spektrix) highly desirable
- Experience planning and executing marketing budgets and evaluating the ROI of specific marketing initiatives and the overall budget
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Successful experience with the creation and execution of strategic plans as they relate to the marketing function
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Stamford Symphony is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, sexual orientation or any other status protected by applicable state or local law
Salary range will be $75,000-$85,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. More may be available for exceptional candidates. Potential for annual performance bonuses for achieving audience development objectives.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Russell Jones, President & CEO, Stamford Symphony: firstname.lastname@example.org