Jobs at Stamford Symphony
Director of Marketing and Communications
Position Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
Located: Fairfield County/Stamford, CT
Stamford Symphony seeks an exceptional marketing and communications professional to join the Orchestra at one of the most creative and developmental periods in its history. The primary focus of this appointment is increasing audiences across Fairfield County. The successful candidate will be able to point to significant past successes in retaining, growing and diversifying audiences, for all types of performances.
With the appointment of Michael Stern as Music Director, the Orchestra is ready to take a significant leap forward in terms of its overall impact and activity level across the whole of Fairfield County; playing larger repertoire and at additional venues, as well as delivering a comprehensive community engagement and education program. The Board has just begun a strategic planning process which will include a complete rebrand of the institution by January 1, 2022. The aim is for the Symphony to grow from a budget of $1.5m to $2.5m by 2025/26.
To fund this expansion, The Crescendo Fund for the Future of Stamford Symphony was created in July 2020 with an initial target of $5m.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for planning, implementing, overseeing, and assessing the Orchestra’s marketing, branding, public relations, and audience development plans in support of the organization’s strategic vision and growth.
The post is based at the Symphony’s office in Stamford CT. The successful candidate will need to be present in the office, in the community and at Symphony events. There will be some evening and weekend work.
- Create plan and execute the organization’s overall marketing and communications
- Align marketing with community engagement, making them more effective together, to support our strategy
- Rebrand the organization – drive brand strategy and implementation across all touchpoints, particularly after the formal rebranding being conducted by Sametz Blackstone
- Collaborate with the CEO, Music Director and others to execute the Symphony’s growth strategy
- Establish multi-year plan and annual marketing plan installments, gaining approval from CEO and Board
- Be the public face of the organization’s marketing and communication efforts – represent the Symphony to develop audiences within the communities we seek to serve at meetings and community events as required
- Oversee all messaging
- Implement new brand (graphics, messaging and meaning) at all touch points (online, social, physical channel, in-person, performing events, education and community events, etc.)
- Set and meet targets for maximizing audiences numbers, diversifying audiences at the Palace Theatre and other venues, and growing brand awareness. The Symphony seeks to increase earned income from the current 25% of the budget to at least 33% and maintain that proportion as the overall budget increases
- Oversee relationships with external vendors:PR company, media buyer, brand agency, etc.
- Coordinate relationship with PR company
- Oversee the website and social media strategies
- Manage department budget
- Create and oversee all written communications
- Identify and implement key messaging
- Create, and implement the symphony’s Fairfield County strategy
- Set and meet targets for audience diversification, engagement and growth.
- Work closely with the Community Engagement and Education manager to integrate Community Engagement and Education with programming, PR, Marketing and Operations
- Identify key engagement targets (e.g. community leaders and influencers, venues, partner organizations, school leaders etc,) and implement disciplined relationship-building
- A seasoned marketing professional with at least 7 years’ senior level experience with a track record of achieving ticket sales and other earned income goals
- Experience within performing arts required; a passion for symphonic music preferred
- Innovative, forward-thinking professional with exceptional interpersonal skills, a genuine and infectious enthusiasm for the arts and the mission of the Stamford Symphony, and a high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Deep understanding and demonstrated success with dynamic pricing strategies
- Strong appreciation for innovative graphic design and photography that is both functional and representative of a symphony orchestra that is growing
- Significant experience overseeing use of digital media to both drive ticket sales and expand the brand
- Ability to think analytically and creatively; a fact based data driven professional
- Strong communication skills, and ability to foster an environment that is conducive to open and direct communication with individuals of varying degrees of involvement with the Orchestra
- A resourceful, results-oriented leader with the ability to think strategically, generate new ideas, prioritize, plan, and set goals and objectives
- Ability to speak credibly and persuasively about Stamford Symphony’s vision for the future
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A broad-based knowledge of all functions of marketing
- Knowledge of Spektrix CRM software, highly desirable
- Experience planning and executing marketing budgets and evaluating the ROI of specific marketing initiatives and the overall budget
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Successful experience with the creation and execution of strategic plans as they relate to the marketing function
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Russell Jones, President & CEO, Stamford Symphony: firstname.lastname@example.org